Wednesday, August 13, 2014

[TIPS] How to Clean Your Skin Properly

Hello folks!
This idea about today's post has been in my thoughts since quite a while. I did a little chit chat with several of my friends about this, and I realized that quite a lot of girls don't really know how to cleanse their face properly, especially after they were wearing makeup. So, I will share you some tips.



FACIAL CLEANSING STEP BY STEP


1. Clean Your Face Using a Facial Cleanser. After a day of activity, with our without makeup, you should clean your face from oil, dirt, sweat, etc. If you're not wearing makeup, then a regular face cleanser will be okay, but if you're wearing makeup, you have to remove it with a makeup remover.

What's the difference between regular cleanser and makeup remover? While a regular cleansers do remove the dirts from your face, it doesn't really do a good job at removing makeup, especially foundations and waterproof makeup (eyeliners/mascara). Most drugstore-brand regular cleanser sold here in my country contains a high level of alcohol, which can sting your eyes when you try to remove your eye makeup, and also very harsh for dry and/or sensitive skin like mine. Makeup remover, on other hand, is oil based, in order to be able to remove makeup. There are many types of makeup remover out there; cleansing pads, creams, oils, gels, etc. Cleansing oil, in my opinion is the best cleanser, since it gave you a deep cleansing and also able to remove even the most stubborn makeup (oh, hi waterproof mascara, I am talking to you!! lol) Eye and Lip Makeup Remover is a type of oil-based removers, which is gentler than regular cleanser, because it's specially made for those said area, which skin is more delicate than other area. 

My own cleanser at the moment is Bifesta Age Care Cleansing Lotion. It's quite pricey, IDR 110.000 (USD 10) for a bottle with 250ml of product. But a little goes along the way, if I can say. I only need 2-3 pumps for removing my entire makeup. The downside, it's not very good to remove waterproof mascara. I'm still looking for better remover. xD
Bifesta Age Care Cleansing Lotion

2. Wash Your Face with Facial Wash. After removing the makeup, wash it! Never leave your face just as it is after cleansing with cleansers. While cleansers can remove dirts, the cleanser residue on your face itself needs to be washed. You are free to use your favorite facial wash/foam, however, I am not recommending you to use facial wash with scrubs (exfoliating facial wash) on daily basis. The scrubs or exfoliating agent in those kind of wash is abrasive to your face, it can strip natural oils needed for keeping skin moist, and also strip the skin cells itself, leaving your skin very dry, thin, and sensitive. If you have acne, it can also make your acne worse too (that was my big sister's case; long time ago). Only use scrubs/exfoliators once or twice a week.

I have two holy grail facial wash. Yes, TWO. The first one is Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. It contains no soap, therefore no foam/lather will be formed, but it's really great for my super dry-sensitive skin, since it cleanse without stripping the natural moisture on my face. I use it on daily basis. 
Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

However, since Cetaphil doesn't form any foam/lather, I sometimes feel my skin is not perfectly clean, especially after I wear heavy makeup. So, on days when I wear heavy makeup, I wash my face with my second holy grail facial wash; The Face Shop Herb Day 365 Aloe Cleansing Foam.
The Face Shop Herb Day 365 Aloe Cleansing Foam


Out of the 5 variants they offer (there are Lemon, Aloe, Acerola, Mung Bean, and Peach), I choose Aloe because I know Aloe is good for dry sensitive skin xD (I've tried Mung Bean and Peach too, and they broke me out x_x). 

When you wash your face, don't forget to give a gentle massage all over your face. Rub your face wash in circular motion starting from both cheeks, chin, then moving to nose, and lastly forehead. Pay attention to areas like sides of the nose, jawline, and hairline. Never, rub your face in rough motion. Be gentle to your own face, or you'll have premature wrinkles sooner or later. 

Rinse well, and once again, don't forget areas like sides of the nose, jawline, and hairline. Make sure there's no foam left on your face. Wipe gently with clean, soft towel, and remember not to rub harshly.

3. Apply Toner. Alright, last step! After you wash your face and dry it, you can apply toners onto your skin. Put an enough amount of toner onto a cotton pad, then apply to your face by dabbing the cotton pad. Let it absorbs, then you can apply your regular skincare regime!

I also have a few other things for you to remember when cleansing your face.
1. Never use toner as a cleanser/makeup remover. When I surveyed my friends, I found out that most of them misunderstood the real use of toner. They use it to remove makeup! Toner can't properly remove your makeup, so please don't misunderstand. Okay?
2. Don't wash your face too often. Being clean is good, but too much can hurt you. xD My suggestion is twice a day; first when you're wake up or when taking morning shower, and the second when you're ready to bed. Too much washing will only strip the natural oil in your face and making it dry and rough.

CLEANSING SYSTEMS

One of the popular ways to cleanse your face nowadays is using a cleansing system. It is basically a cleansing aid device to help you giving a deeper cleansing to your face. Most people like the electronically operated Clarisonic Cleansing System, but since I have yet to afford it, I opted for a cheaper alternative, Olay Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System. (FYI, Clarisonic costs almost USD 200, while Olay Pro-X only costs me USD 30)
Olay Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System

If you don't want to spend so much money for these electronically operated ones, you can also opted a manual brushes. I've ever found them being sold at Forever21 and also ebay. Several Korean Brands also sell those too, I guess. 

It's pretty simple to use this device. First you wet your face and apply face wash like usual, then before rinsing, take the device, rinse with a bit of water, and turn it on (if you use an electronic one), setting the proper speed, then place the brush against your face. You don't need to press the brush, just barely touching the skin. Then using a circular motion like you would do with your fingers, move the device all along your face. Don't use it against your eyelid and lip, and avoid hairline areas, or the brush will pull your hair towards the face xD. After the entire face being brushed, turn off the device, and rinse your face. Don't forget to rinse the brush too! You don't want the brush to be filthy with facial foam residues, right?

The good thing about using this kind of brush is that you can have a gentle exfoliating while you wash your face. It can help to remove dirts far inside the depth of your pore, and also remove dead skin cells, so your face will feel much more cleaner, smoother, and brighter after use. And since the system cleanse your skin far better, your skin will absorb skincare better. I prove it myself.xD

The bad thing? Well, if you have an extremely sensitive or thin skin, you may want to avoid this kind of device. If the brush isn't soft enough to you skin, it will only make your skin worse! Luckily Olay Pro-X's brush softness is acceptable on my skin, so I don't find any trouble. 

It's up to you whether you want to use the cleansing system everyday or on designated schedule. However, if you do use it everyday, I suggest you to use it only once a day; at night wash before going to bed. Make sure to use it very gently against your skin, so it will not exfoliate your skin too much!

Well, I guess that covers all I want to share. I hope this post will help you. If you do have your own tips of facial cleansing, feel free to share via comments!

Have a great day!
X.o.x.o.,

Reen ʚϊɞ



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here, but please DO NOT leave any kind of ill words, insults, and promotions/advertising/offers there as I will not responding to it.
I read and reply every single comments as soon as I log in.
Do leave your own blog link so I can visit back. :)

X.o.x.o.,
Reen <3